Tuesday, October 5, 2010

New Phase

We seem to be at a new phase in life. Over the weekend our two-year old has now figured out how to get out of his crib and pack-n-play. While this is good news in a sense, it is also sad news.


The good news is that he is growing up and is problem solving. The sad news it that he is growing up and problem solving. And we have lost all but one method of containment. His highchair. And it is just days until it is impractical for him to be in that.

It all started over the weekend. We were at the coast with friends and we put I. in the playpen for his bed. In the morning, we are all up and I. is still sleeping. Or so we thought. Pretty soon, he is down the stairs with his familiar “hi”. And so it begins.

Naptime that day involved us putting him in the playpen about eight times before he thought it best to nap.

That night, we put I. to bed in the playpen, which was in our room, and we locked the bedroom door in case he got out. We figured that if he did climb out at least he would stay in the room.

About six in the morning as T. was sleeping, she felt a little breath in her face. As she opened her eyes from a dead sleep, there was I. standing next to her with his face one inch from hers. T. screamed the startled scream and I. giggled and said “hi”. T.’s scream woke me up abruptly. And so it continues.

That evening at home we put I. in his crib and assumed he couldn’t get out of it yet, as it is taller than the playpen. In the morning I gave him a couple of books to read so I could take a shower. I went into the laundry room to grab some clean clothes and as I turned around, there he was “just a walkin’ down the street, er. hall, singin’ “do wa diddy” Okay, he wasn’t singing. But he did say “hi”.

No comments:

Post a Comment