Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Useful

I am competent.

It is difficult when people, either knowingly or out of not thinking through ones words, make you feel otherwise. Some people are energized when that approach is used. TV shows like “Hell’s Kitchen” or “The Apprentice” utilize that tactic. The idea is that you will rise to the occasion after a verbal thrashing occurs. For some it works, I suppose. Making one feel incompetent will charge them to action and success. For me, it is as if you have pierced my balloon skin and I am deflating. And it leaves you feeling that that you are not only incompetent, but also useless.


That is what happened the other day.

Being a believer means that you are useful. 1 Peter 2 says that we were chosen in order to “tell about the wonderful things God has done”.

There are several ways the enemy tries to thwart that.

1. Isolation. One of the great traps is to some how isolate believers from other believers. The church, or “body of believers”, is design for gathering. Large groups, small groups, groups of two, but gather. When isolation occurs, we begin to think that we are the only ones struggling, the only ones who don’t understand, the only ones who care. We feel like an outsider. Sometimes even in a large crowd.  Isolation will take us down a road where our usefulness is stifled by self-guilt, self-doubt, and selfishness.

2. Incompetence. “You are not good enough.” “You don’t smart enough.” Growing up, it seemed like I was always the smallest. Not always picked because I appeared to be incompetent.

But yes, I was good at baseball. Yes, I could grab the basketball rim (10ft). Yes, I could throw a tightly spiraled football 40 yards. Yes, I could run the 100 yard dash in a little over 10 seconds. Yes, I could kick the top of a doorjam (6ft 8 inches). Yes, I could bowl. (177 average) Yes, I can teach. Yes, I can preach. Yes, I can write. Yes, I can take good photographs.

And yet, all it takes is one little dent in the armor and we become incapable. Because we felt we were looked upon as incompetent.

3. Ignorance. Ignorance is the feeling that you don’t know enough or you are not smart enough. And because of that, you need to be quiet. You don’t know how to lead a study.  You don’t know how to speak. You don’t know how to share your faith. You won’t have the right answers.

But you are useful! You are not alone! You are capable! You know the truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment