Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Guest room

So, the third room or guest room is finished. It only took four years. Well, in reality, since we started working on it seriously, it has taken two months. But it is done.

It had an ugly 70’s indoor-outdoor brown and orange carpet that was quite stained. I removed that in 2006 and put Kilz primer on the floor. And there it sat and became a giant catch-all room.

The walls are a six-inch wide wood panel that had so many scratches, scrapes, and nails in it that we thought best to putty the holes and paint over instead of sanding. So we puttied, primed, and painted the walls. We used a yellow cream for the walls and white for the trim and shelves. A rock vinyl tile floor we installed and painted the ceiling. We put a new ceiling light and the decorated in an ocean theme. The books are novels, travel books, poetry, and game books. We are hoping it gives a rest and relaxing ambiance.

It has a definite Cape Cod or east coast feel to the room and it s very inviting.

Those who helped: (my brother in law, my daughter in law, my son in law, my wife in. . . err, I mean my wife, and me)
Now for guests.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks great! I love the painted paneling look--it is very beachy, which suits you since you guys love the coast.

    I can't even remember where this room is located in your house. I'm dumb. You should show me next time I'm over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got it! by he way, consider the next time an open invitation for any time.

    ReplyDelete