Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Falling into fall

As fall sets in, I am realizing that it has been two months since I quit my job. I would like to be able to report that it has been amazingly successful with wondrous events that have occurred. That simply is not the case. It has been good. Just a little different.




I knew that it wouldn’t solve all of the issues and I knew I wouldn’t be all roses and rainbows. It is just a little different than I have thought.



I do not regret leaving off-price retail. It is a strange creature. Very unique and unlike department store retail. And there are challenges in being management. You are to manage the store, product, policies, associates, and customers in a smooth fashion. The challenge lies in never having enough payroll, corporate making constant changes, and the pressures of not only turning a profit but a good profit.



It has been good to have some time off. I enjoy I. and we seem to be doing okay. It is nice to see the growing up side of childhood. I missed out on the day-to-day last go around. I love seeing him soak in knowledge and experiences and then process it into life skills.



I am still behind on my self-made schedule as far as the photo website and pursuing the photography business. But it is proceeding. This week I am going through all of my notes and thoughts and finalize pricing and marketing strategy.



It looks like October will be the first month we will have to use some savings to pay the bills. It is a weird feeling and a little scary, but originally I had thought we would have tapped into that area in August. So I guess we are ahead in that sense.




3 comments:

  1. Your not missing a thing at off-retail at this time. In fact the stores is sinking and people are about to jump off the ship if the all new managers don't do something quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do miss a lot of the associates though. That is what makes it bearable.

    ReplyDelete