Saturday, November 2, 2013

Guys Only Weekend

So this past week my wife T. had to fly to Arizona for her grandmother’s funeral which left my 5 year old and me on our own.  She was leaving Thursday and coming back on Saturday. 

The closest airport is a couple of hours away, so I thought my boy and I would go on a mini-road trip.  The plan was to head up to the town we used to live and visit some friends and then on Saturday drive back to pick up T. 

When you are spending two nights away at two different houses, well, you have to make sure you have all the essentials needed.  We divvied up the packing list.

My list included, two sleeping bags (one for me and one for him), two pillows, on cot, two spare blankets, a bag full of shirts, pants, underwear, pajamas, socks (three days worth for the boy and for me), various toiletries, my camera bag, my computer, my Bible and paper for notes.  Not to mention a few snacks. Check. And check.

My boy’s list.  One kid sized backpack full of alphabet blocks, a Veggie Tales lunchbox full of small Thomas the Tank engine toys (also included were Gordon, Percy, James, Edward, Toby, and Bertie the Bus), one Paddington Bear book of colors, one stuffed bunny for the ride, stuffed Henry the dog and Nemo the fish for sleeping. Check and Checkmate.

Well, we each have our own set of priorities.  Nonetheless, we were ready for whatever the road had in store.  With the back of the SUV loaded and not to mention T. with her purse and backpack for her trip we were almost ready. 

Usually the boy sits behind the driver’s seat in his booster seat, but on this trip I had moved him behind the passenger seat so I could easily have access to him for important things like picking up stuff he dropped, handing out fruit snacks, and juice.

Gas tank is full, bags are packed, and we have just dropped T. off at the airport and we are ready to roll.  We do not have t be at our next destination until evening, so the world is our oyster.  What to do first.  I am checking out my analog GPS (paper map), and the boy is checking his laminated map and after serious calculations we settle on our first spot. 

Lunch! To be continued. . .

1 comment: