Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Guys Only Weekend part 2

So, where was I?  Oh, yeah, we dropped my wife off at the airport and my boy and I were off and running for our man weekend road trip.  And first destination, lunch.
 
Being the adventurous type, I decided to head an alternate route and bypass the freeway and drive up the old highway.  With maps in hand, his and mine, we head for the next town for a quick bite to eat.

One thing about our family is that our navigational skills during a visit or vacation involving other towns and cities are based on the landmarks of restaurants.  We may not know how to get to the University’s football stadium, but we can make a no detour beeline to the Mexican restaurant on Sixth Street. And it is right next to the infamous 7-11.  I’ll get to that story later.

We like to try places where we wouldn’t generally eat.  We like trying new places.  Although that trend has seemed to have had a slight adjustment since moving to a little village off of the Oregon coast.  In our vicinity of easy access, there aren’t very many chain restaurants available.  So, we find ourselves at times when we are in a bigger city, eating at the restaurants that are available only in larger towns and cities.
 
And on this day, as the scenic countryside subsides and we enter the first town on our tour, I begin to scout for a place to eat.  Hopefully, I can find a place we haven’t tried before and that is suitable for a five year old appetite.

And there on the right, is our destination all light up with the angelic aura around it.  McDonald’s!  I’m lovin’ it.  Well, at least we haven’t ever eaten at this one.  There is no play area at this one, so a bathroom stop and then, time to eat. 
 
My son is having the usual.  One Chicken Nugget Happy Meal (4 nuggets, small fries, apple slices, on round bottle of white milk).  Plus a Halloween bucket with a sheet of self assemble stickers.  My turn.  I settle for the number 1, a Big Mac meal, that I know will look nothing like the picture. 
 
Finding a window seat with the view of the parking lot, I say grace and begin to consume  my 1,130 calorie with a side of 1,320 mg of salt intake meal that will sit heavy in my stomach for days. I did satisfy 15% of my daily need of Vitamin C and will no doubt keep my girlish figure and waistline, if by figure, I am comparing myself to a woman nine months pregnant with twins.

Unable to finish his milk before it is time to roll, I grab the container and proceed to drop the straw that I had inserted into the foil covering of the milk for less spillage on the road.  But no worries, because I always have a spare straw.  So with a buckle of the belt over the boy and his car seat, it’s time to head out.  Get your motor running. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment