Thursday, March 31, 2011

In the Band

I am a musician. The only problem is that I cannot play a musical instrument, I cannot sing, and I cannot even read music. Nonetheless, I am a musician. If only in my head.


A bass player to be exact.

Not the wild type of bass player, bouncing around and head banging. No, I am more like the jazz and blues kind, who stands at the side of the stage in his sunglasses, blue jeans, and maybe a hat, just plunking away with a periodic head nod to the other members of the band. Yeah. That’s me. If only in my head.

But even if I can’t play, even if I can’t sing, I still know music. And I still know the music I like. Desperate, melancholy, dark (not evil, but slumping in the corner kind of dark), gut wrenching, and sad. It has got to grab you and toss you around and wring out all your emotion. It’s got to be sad, lonely, scared, loving, or even contentment and relaxing. It has to move me somehow and take me places that cause me to do something. Or be something.

I like several groups and bands. From Rich Mullins to Shawn Mullins..From James Blunt to James Taylor. From Boston to Bon Jovi. From Heart to Hootie. From Sting to the Stones. From Bob Seger to Bob Dylan. From Doobie Brothers to the Bacon Brothers(yes, Kevin Bacon’s band). Oh yeah, there is Landon Pigg, Newsboys, Creedence, Pink Floyd, Dashboard Confessional, Johnny Cash, Hollies, Train, A.J. Croce, Bob Seger, Goo Goo Dolls, U 2, etc.

At times I will like all of their albums (or CD’s or whatever you call them now). With some groups or artists, I will buy their “Best of” or their “Greatest hits” Sometimes, I will only like one or two songs from the artist.

But the album I like the most will be the first one they release or the first one that gets their name out. The first ones are the songs that the artists have been working on for a long time. They are the ones with the most heart and head investment because all of them and their experiences have culminated into these ten to twelve songs. They will tell you a lot about the person. This is not to say that their later works aren’t as good, but I enjoy the early stuff as I empathize with the struggle, the pathos, and their drive as they shout to the world “Listen.  I have something to share”.
I don’t know how many “concerts” I have had with their songs in the privacy of my own home or car.

And every time I now listen to them, I am right there with them. Joining in with the chorus, the harmony, and, of course, the bass. Because, you see, I am a musician. If only in my head.

4 comments:

  1. Kevin Bacon?
    The same guy that played Valentine in Tremors??
    How long has his band been playing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... You were inside my head... that is ME... I know mow that I am a musician too!! I can not sing or play an instrument... I am a Bass Player and had Colton convinced too but then he quit... that is another story... I am a Greatest hits girl and even like one or 2 songs on a CD... Like the majority of the groups and artists you listed.. Gee... Can you tell I enjoyed this post?!? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Kevin Bacon. Been a band for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leann, I am glad that you enjoyed this piece. We are musicians with a slight disadvantage. But what we may lack in talent, we most assuredly make up with heart.

    ReplyDelete