Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Geiger Counter

I was at an antique store the other day. As I was walking around, I noticed, in a display case, a Geiger counter. And I had to laugh. It brought back a great memory. Thanks to my mom.

She died this past June and I miss her. About six years ago, mom called me. She was 75 at the time and her voice had a kind of giddiness about it. “I bought me a Geiger counter!”, she exclaimed.

ME: “Mom, “No you didn’t”
MOM: “Yes I did, I bought a Geiger counter.’
ME: “Mom, you couldn’t have. “
MOM: “I did so. I bought it at an auto parts store. It was on sale for ten dollars.”

At this point, I had come to some solid conclusions. A) She did not buy a Geiger counter. B) If she did, why would an auto parts store be selling them? C) If she did buy one, how good could it be for ten dollars? D) Why would they sell her one, anyway?

ME: “Mom, it couldn’t have been a Geiger counter. Those are used for checking radiation.”
MOM: “No, I bought the one that you can find coins in the ground.”
ME: “Mom, that is a metal detector.”
MOM: “Oh. Well I bought one anyway.”

Now the conversation had to shift.

ME: “Why do you need a metal detector?”
MOM: “I thought I would go to the river bank and look for some money”
ME: “Do you think that is a wise idea?”

After all, she is 75 and not in the greatest of health. But I was planning on a trip to Idaho to see her, so I told her I would take a look at it when I visited.

MOM: “I also bought me a BBQ.”
ME: “Mom, why?”
MOM: “So I could cook hamburgers”
ME: “Mom, you can’t use it inside the apartment.”
MOM: “It’s propane, not charcoal.”
ME: “Still can’t use it inside.”

So upon my visit to see my mom, I had the privilege of assembling the metal detector. Yes, it was bought at Schuck’s Auto Parts store. Yes, it was only ten dollars. I put the battery in and threw a nickel on the carpet. As I waved the detector over the nickel, sure enough, it beeped. I put a piece of paper over the nickel and repeated the process. No beep. Second attempt, still no beep.

MOM: “Oh well, I’ll just use in the house.”
ME: “You don’t need to, because it only works if you can see the coin anyway.”

I saw a Geiger counter at an antique store. And I had to laugh. And thought of mom. Thanks for the memory. Love you and miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment