Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Holiday after

So this last weekend was the Thanksgiving holiday. Like I had mentioned earlier, it was to be very different for me. And it was. It started Wednesday. T. and I started the preparation for dinner and cooked the turkey. In the evening we watched “Rocky” and had pizza.


Thanksgiving day found us doing more cooking and getting the house ready for our guests. This year we invited good friends to dinner. Our families, it turned out, were all out of town. It was a great day of food and laughs. I really enjoyed myself. And I found out a friend of mine is a juggler. Who knew?

Normally, I would begin the fretting of going to work and dealing with all the Black Friday happenstance. And this leads to not enjoying oneself as much on Thanksgiving. Dealing with the traffic and finding a parking spot is stressful enough sometimes, but the influx of shoppers is crazy at times. Most of the time you don’t even go out for lunch due to the crowds.

This Black Friday we stayed home and had a turkey sandwich. Later in the afternoon we went to some friends house and watched the Oregon football game. That evening we watched another movie.

Saturday was another relaxing day. Retail management means that you work Saturdays. Especially during the holidays. It was spent with a quick trip to Target for paper needs and then “ELF” the great Christmas classic.

Sunday was church and then relaxing at home.

So was my weekend. And it was one of the greatest weekends I have had. And I am reminder that it has been four months since we made the changes. All in all, it has been good. Sometimes being at home can be less productive as I had hoped. But truthfully, going into this, there was no plan. Just a simple belief that God can and will provide. Not because of us, but because of His greatness.

Thinking back, here are some things I would have missed out on.

Monday night Small Group.
Church picnic and three other picnics.
Trip to Hood River with my family.
Trip to coast with friends.
Finishing up the guest room.
A quick trip to the coast for dinner.
The carousal with I.
Watching I. grow daily.

I know it is just a few little things, but it has meant a lot to me. More to come.

3 comments:

  1. "And I found out a friend of mine is a juggler. Who knew?"

    Ha! That made me almost LOL. :)

    So you had a turkey sandwich when you don't like leftovers? Crazy! I used the generous amount :) of leftover turkey for eggs (twice) and fried rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not considering it leftovers as the turkey was cold and in a different form, like a sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to start practicing my juggling skills.

    ReplyDelete