Friday, November 12, 2010

Hairbrush

One of the most famous of VeggieTales songs is the “Hairbrush” song. It is where Larry the Cucumber is in a towel after his shower and is looking for his hairbrush. Several characters hear him singing about his hairbrush and come in only to see Larry in his towel. There is an awkward and slightly embarrassing moment at the sight. The last person to come in is the “peach” who is also in a towel. After the awkward and slightly embarrassing moment, the “peach “ thanks Larry for the hairbrush. More about this in a minute.


The daily routine in our house is as follows. In the morning T. gets ready for work while I get breakfast and tea for her. After she leaves I will have a cup of coffee and check the news. When our little boy I. wakes up, I will put him in the highchair and give him his breakfast while he watches his “soaps”. These consist of Sesame Street, Sid the science kid, and Clifford the big red dog. It is at that time I will rush in, get a shower, and get ready for my day.

On this particular morning, everything was going according to schedule. I. was in his highchair having breakfast and it was my time to jump into the shower. Water on, shower running, me getting in shower. Just like everyday.

From inside the shower, I hear a loud “clunk” and an “ohh” sound coming from the front room. It sounds like he has tipped over in his chair. I yell to him (the bathroom door being open), “Are you all right?” I was hoping to hear “I okay”. Nothing but silence.

I quickly grab a towel, wrap it around me and rush into the front room leaving a trail of water footprints and drip spots on the floor. I turn the corner and my son is still sitting in his highchair watching TV just like every other day. His “sippy cup” had dropped on the ground, that’s all. And my boy is looking at me. In my towel.

Feeling awkward and slightly embarrassed, the scene reminds me of the “Hairbrush” song, only I am not Larry, the tall slender green cucumber. No, I am the short stout “peach”. Thanks for the hairbrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment