Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Purchase

So, my son and I went to the store yesterday.  I had to pick up some things.  I am also working on having him walk alongside and not get “into anything”.  He, after all, has to not only learn freedom, but the respecting other people’s stuff.  And to listen.

As we went down the aisles grabbing the necessary items, I told him that we were going to go to the toy section.  He could pick out a toy since he was doing such a great job.  Fortunately, we are at Walgreen’s and the toy section is small.  And there aren’t a lot of people in the store at this time.

Now, whether my son had full understanding of his task at hand, I do not know, but he began looking, sometimes standing and sometimes kneeling, at different toys.  I, however, was keenly aware of this moment, as I am watching my son make his first purchase.  And the purchase would be made solely based upon his preference and his choice.  This is big stuff.

The first thing that he noticed, is some kind of Minnie Mouse battery powered electronic game with a sale price of  $14.99.  Now, both the price and item would normally be unacceptable other than the fact that I did tell him that he could pick whatever he wanted.  I will have to rethink that strategy.  He stared at it for a while and said “purple” as he eyed the color of her dress and then moved on.  I thought about directing him, but that would be counterproductive to the “his choice” concept. 

The next item on his  little looky-loo trek were cans of Silly String.  Now you’re talking boy.  I mean, that would be kind of fun, but temporary.  I then envisioned myself having to explain to him that the ingredients of the can was “all gone” as tears ran down his face with his little wailing voice as if he were betrayed by the very things and persons in whom he placed his trust. I was awakened from my daydream scenario as my son moved on.  Whew, dodged that bullet!

He has now settled in on his knees and has pulled out one of those porcupine balls.  They are squishy and have little tentacle like things all over the ball.  This one is about 8 inches in diameter and hot pink.  He does like balls and these are fun.  I am thinking that we have a winner here.

 And then, he sees it! A 4½-inch diameter rubber bouncy ball.  And on the ball are two faces. One, Thomas the Tank Engine, and the other, James, another train engine.  “Hello Thomas”, my son said.  And he looked at me, showed me the ball, with admiration and excitement and said “Thomas”.  I greeted the Tank Engine myself and ask my son if he would like to buy the ball.  “Yeah, ball”.  So off we went to the register.

Waiting in line, my little one kept greeting and acknowledging Thomas.  He turned to the man behind us and said “Thomas” and showed him his most prized possession.  Some people don’t think he is as cute and as brilliant as we do.  Oh well, their loss. 

When it was our turn, I told him that he had to give Thomas to the clerk so we could buy him.  He graciously handed the ball to the lady and informed her that it was Thomas and James.  She agreed with his assessment, scanned the bar code and handed the ball back to my son, who clutched it in his arms and off we went.  This truly was a great moment.

I am thinking of giving him our grocery list to see how he does, solo.  Too soon?

3 comments:

  1. That's cute! It's interesting to see what kids choose in situations like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is. And it was an acceptable choice for us as well. And his purchase has been well used in only one day. $1.99 goes along way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! :*)
    If you decide to go with the shopping list, turn on the video camera! ;*)

    ReplyDelete