Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Handy Man Follow-Up

So, here is what I think happened with the outside bathroom trim that I referred to in my Handy Man post last week. Because there was a lot of paint in the can, I now believe, it must have been an attempt to match the paint color using a sample of paint as opposed to the formula. It is, after all, just a shade off. So that explains that.


Yesterday, I took my sponge paintbrush and painted the door jam. It turned out pretty good. So today, it was time to tackle the outside door. My son was still in his room “reading” his books. It has become a routine before he wants “up”. I decide that I need to use a wider brush to complete this task more quickly. So, in my pajamas and bare feet, I grab the paint, place paper on the floor, a paper towel for wiping up potential spills, and using the 2-inch bristle brush begin to carefully paint the door.

My assumption was that it shouldn’t take too long since it, technically, already has a first coat. But since the new paint is only a bit off, it should cover nicely. Carefully placing paint on the brush and applying my best “paint the fence” impersonation, I begin. Things seem to be going smoothly until I realize why I am a sponge paintbrush fan. Other than the possibility of streaks with a bristle brush, I am now faced with single bristle hairs being attached to the door as I am losing hair from the brush faster than I am losing from my head. Soon, the door begins to look like the shower drain after I have washed my hair.

I painstakingly remove as many hairs as I can. From the door, I mean. As I finish the door, I realize that I did not have to use the paper towel at all in wiping up any rogue drops of green paint on the faux earth tone slate floor. At this point, I am quite pleased overall with the result of my ability. I step back to admire my work, and I see for the first time that there is a discoloration of a section of the floor. And there, in plain sight, is a green print of a right foot. I assume that a) it wasn’t there yesterday, and b) it is mine. In fact, if the bathroom were a crime scene, CSI would only need ten seconds to identify the killer.

Here is the strange thing. There are no drops or paint smudges anywhere else that would cause one to conclude that I, somehow, stepped on a spill. No, just a footprint. One. And mine. Looking at the bottom of my right foot, I see the resemblance of a newborn’s tiny foot covered in ink after the nurses’ had made an impression. Checking the bottom of my left foot, just in case, I notice that in between my big toe and the next toe (whatever that one is called), I have somehow dripped paint through the space between said toes. Now I know there is a gap there, but come on, it is not that big.

But the door is painted and I have showered. And I am now eyeing the corner of the front room and wall that has some water damage and needs to be re-mudded and painted. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. YEA!! well done!!
    I'm proud of you for continuing to try!! :*D

    ReplyDelete