Sunday, April 17, 2011

Never Leave a Man Behind

So, we went to the Wildlife Safari this past Friday.  It is a drive through safari with the animals out in the open. I thought that our three-year-old son would be old enough to enjoy seeing all of the animals.  For the most part he did, but probably next year will bring about maximum satisfaction.

The first thing the ticket taker tells you is that you are to remain in your vehicles at all times.  “And if the animals approach, make sure to roll up your windows.  Be sure to keep two to three car lengths away from the rhinoceros, and if at any time your feel you are in trouble you are to honk your horn and a worker will be right there.”  Sounds a bit ominous, right?  In hindsight, it isn’t as bad as it sounds, but still.  There are giraffes, bison, ostriches, yaks, elk, zebras, rheas, and of course the rhino just out there in the open.  The lions, cheetah, tigers are caged with chained link fences. And three strands of electric wire separate the bears and our car.  All in all, it is safe, but with the initial instructions and reminder signs along the way reminding you to stay in your car certainly has captured your attention.

Since the drive takes about an hour and a half and the animals are on both sides of the road, we decided to let our son out of his car seat so he can go from window to window in the back of our SUV.  We are all having a good time even though it was raining at times. We would roll our windows rolled down to have a clearer view of the wildlife and for taking pictures.

At some point we hear our son say, “oh, no.”.  We were stopped on the side of the road looking at the giraffes when our son had dropped his six-inch little Winnie the Pooh out of the car through the half rolled down back window.  As I look out my passenger window, I see him.   There is Mr. Pooh, lying on the ground, face down, in, which seems to be a mixture of rock, mud, and giraffe poo.  I swear I heard him say, “Man down”, but I can’t be certain. 

It is at this point that the words, “keep you vehicle door closed at all times”, and “keep an eye on the rhino”, have us a little skittish and concerned.  “We probably have to leave him”, my wife said. And, honestly, that seems like the most prudent thing to do in light of the circumstances.  But it is hard to leave Mr. Pooh in such a pathetic, vulnerable position.  It just didn’t seem right to leave him behind.

“I think I can get him”, I said.  I begin directing her to back up the car with my head out the window lining up Winnie with my door.  Once in position, I was ready to make my move.  With one eye on the giraffes, and one eye on the rhino, and the other eye on the stuffed animal, I opened the door, leaned out as far as I could, and snatched up a poo covered Pooh from the side of the road and placed him safely on the floorboard of the car. 

This story makes me think of a verse. Jesus said, “While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe. . . None of them have been lost. . . “

No comments:

Post a Comment