Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Big

It was one of those moments when you knew that something special had just happened. This Sunday, singing in the church service, it occurred. As those words, best described as powerful and desperate, were being sung, I looked over to see a friend whose eyes seemed a little red. At first I thought my friend was tearing up, but then assumed it was due to a cold or allergies.


As we moved to the following song, the same feeling was there, only the desperation in the words had now changed to promise and hope. As I happened to glance over again, I noticed my friend beginning to cry. Softly and slowly at first, but as the song continued, the crying was replaced by weeping. Sometimes in life, God comes incredibly closer than normal, and  then an encounter happens.

As I am getting quite moved by this event, I wonder what it is that is causing this moment. I recognized that the songs were quite moving for me as well, but it didn’t affect me like it had my friend. Were those tears brought on by concerns and worries about family members? Were they for friends? Was it because of an ongoing struggle in my friend’s life and my friend was finally being set free?  Perhaps it was the assurance that God is in control and He will keep His promise. Or was it as if God were saying, “Here, let me lift that burden, it is too heavy for you alone”. Maybe it was a simple reminder that He is with us always.

But you know, it really doesn’t matter the “what” or the “why”. What mattered is that at 11:15 AM Sunday morning, my friend got a visit. And it was a beautiful sight to behold. And I was honored and humbled that I got to be a witness to that event.

I wanted so badly to go to my friend, at that moment, to stand alongside and to provide my own comfort, but I didn’t. I couldn’t. There wasn’t enough room for me. Because God was there. With my friend. And He’s a pretty big God.

No comments:

Post a Comment