Friday, July 29, 2011

Side Roads and Turn Arounds

This first encounter on our vacation was almost missed. Twice. We had already driven through the first park on our list to see the redwood trees.

As we were heading south, we needed to take a break so, in Crescent City, Ca., we stop at the visitor center. They have restrooms there and they have a volunteer at the center to answer any questions. So, I ask him a question. “What is the best route to get to the Redwoods? We want to see Prairie Creek and Del Norte Park.” I pronounced “Norte” nor-tay, as I assumed that would be correct.


The volunteer guy says, “I have to correct you on one thing. I don’t want somebody else to get offended or upset. The correct pronunciation is “Norte” nort. There is no “tay” at the end.” So, I guess, the only person I offended, was him. “ I was just going to head straight down Highway 101.” He told me that if I wanted to take a more scenic route, I should take the loop just past the river. It is very windy and it is a decent climb, but the view and the sights are neat. Even though it takes longer, it might be worth driving.

T. and I decided that we should take it and have lunch up at the overlook. As we are driving on the “long and windy road” (Okay, not that long, but windy. I just wanted to quote the song), we are following the river as it heads to the ocean. And it was about three miles from the mouth of the river, we made a small turn and there was a spot where cars were lined up by a little bridge. The little bridge was like one going over a creek and just had the safety rails. People were standing there looking toward the river. It had the appearance of a spot where fishermen would go. As we passed by, a boy, who was about ten, shouted to us, “It’s a whale!”

I didn’t quite hear him so I ask T. what he said as I drive past on route to the overlook and eventually the Redwoods. She told me that he said there was a whale. T. thought we should turn around and take a look.

Here are the two things that went through my mind. First, if indeed there is a whale, it can’t be very big. We are upstream quite a ways on the river. And second, I have already passed that spot, and there is “no-turn around and see what I have missed” policy. I recognize that this is a sad way to live. But, in my defense, it keeps me moving forward.

But, with T.’s encouragement, I turn around on the little two-lane road using the classic “three-point-turn”, and head back past the little bridge with people. I then have to execute another “three-point-turn”, (I’m getting exhausted here) and park behind the other cars. I get out with my camera and go to see this whale. T. had to stay in the car since our three-year old was napping. I get to the little bridge spot. And there it is. A whale and its calf.





It was right at the edge of the river. It was about a twenty feet drop from the bridge and the whale was about ten feet from the river shore. It kept rising and submerging the fifteen minutes I was there. Its nose was facing upstream and would drift down and then back up. It got to a point where I thought it was going to be gone, so I went back to the car so T. could come and take a look. Fortunately, it was still there, and T. got the “money shot”, as it expelled water through its blowhole.


I have only seen whales at a distance in the ocean. This time I was only about thirty feet away from this big old mammal. Who knew that in order to see a whale up close, one only has to go see giant trees in a forest? And this encounter would have been certainly missed if we hadn’t chosen to take a side road and make a turn around.


As we journey in life, and as we follow the route that we have chosen, sometimes the more direct path is the unexpected side road. And it is there, on the side road, you may be given a glimpse of something wonderful. Sometimes, a forty-five foot grey whale is just around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I'm so jealous--how awesome!! What a great sighting. I'm so glad you got pictures!

    ReplyDelete