Saturday, February 12, 2011

Freebird

My son has a routine when it comes to morning time. It generally will go like this. He wakes up from a restful night of sleep. He will usually wake up happy. Sometimes he wakes up before we do. He will begin jabbering. My assumption is he is sharing his dreams with his stuffed animals. Or he will act out a scene from his favorite VeggieTales show. After a few minutes of that, I will come into his room and he will want a couple of books to read. His will sit in his crib/toddler bed and peruse his literary choices for a while. When he is ready to get up, he will politely shout “Up”. And after getting dressed, we will begin our day.


On this particular day, my boy woke up just as he has for the past two years, 11 months. And he began his jabbering. My wife was up earlier and getting ready for a brunch with some friends. I am waking up and listening to the boy trying to understand what today’s conversation is all about. As I get up and dressed for the day, my wife peeks in on the boy and calls my name to come to his room. My boy calls out my name as well.

As I come into his room, I am greeted by my boy who is standing in his crib/toddler bed. Oh, did I mention that he is naked? As in ‘buck”. We are talking jaybird naked. And I am almost certain that he did not go to bed that way. Yes, because, we put him in his yellow and blue “Looney Tunes” zip up footed pajamas. Which, by the way, were nowhere to be seen. And he was pointing to his tummy and others things.

After getting him up and fully dressed, we discovered the pajamas and diaper underneath his blanket. Not too much damage. It was funny to walk into that scene. He amuses us quite often. But the one-piece zip up pajamas was our last line of defense from a clothing optional boy in the morning. He has, in the past, pulled his pajama bottoms off, but this took some effort on his part.

Here now is my rendition of the moment from the perspective of my boy.

Well that was a good sleep. Hello Bear. How are you? I’m fine. I dreamed about trains. Sloooow trains. Fast trains. I think I will look at some books. But I am a little bored with them. I need to put my order in for some new ones. With cool pictures. Can’t wait until I can actually read words. I know my letters. Sometimes I get “o” and “0” mixed up. I sure like these pajamas. They have a rabbit on them. And a zipper. I am getting pretty good at zippers. Watch. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Look, there is my tummy. Hello tummy. There is my knee. Hello knee. Oh, I think I am a little wet. Yep. Hello arm. I can pull off my sleeves. Watch. (pajamas drop). Hey the diaper fell as well. Cool. Now if I can only get my feet out of the pajamas. There I did it! Woohoo! I will stick them here under the blanket. I can jump. Real high. Watch. Wow. I feel free. Oh, hi Mom. What? You are calling for Dad? Let me help. What is his first name again? Oh yeah, ‘hey T.’ Oh, hi Dad. Look at my tummy. And that. Can I get up now?”

No comments:

Post a Comment