Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Middle of In Between

In my excitement to start a new journey in life, I forgot one thing. I forgot the “desert” principle. At least it is a principle for me. I have seen it throughout my life, especially when change happens.


This “desert” is a point of time between two significant moments or events. The purpose of the “desert” is reflection, re-training, re-focusing in preparation for the new that is to occur. One can or cannot be aware that these three things are happening, but they are. Any time there is change and important change, there also needs to be this time to cope, understand, or just give direction to the upcoming. Here is an example.

Moses spent forty years in Egypt. It was during that time he was part of the royal family by adoption. Then there was his sudden escape and the subsequent forty years in Midian as a shepherd. There was his encounter with the burning bush and for forty more years he led the people of Israel out from bondage and to the edge of the Promised Land. It was Moses’ shepherd years that was his “desert” principle. It is unclear if he knew at that time God was forming him to be a leader. I can imagine that he wondered about his royal years and all of the perks and benefits that had come with that lifestyle.

It has been said that in life, one can either look backward or look forward. Looking backward would be the missing of the old, the regrets of mistakes, or having the comfortability of the known. Looking forward is the anticipation of the new, the hope of the future, or the struggle of the ensuing battle. But sometimes, great discovery can be found, not in the past or the future, but in the now.

We need “desert’ times to rest from something and get ready for something else. We need to rethink certain actions and decisions and sometime re-train ourselves in order to have success in our new endeavors. We need to re-focus our thoughts and dreams so they can be achieved. Or at least I do.

So, I have been in this “desert” period. This lull is supposed to shape me or make me aware of things. So what have I done during his time? And what have I learned through this?

I have learned that I will need to be moved far out of my comfort zone to accomplish things, whatever they may be. I have learned that just because I have always believed that great things are just around the corner, they may not be. I have waited for all of my life to feel like I have made it or arrived, only to find there is one more corner. Maybe greatness, maybe that feeling that I am special, is not going to happen. Maybe no matter how I plan, strategize or goal set, nothing is going to come of it. Maybe I am, after all, just average.

Reading a biography of a man who, determined that a higher will was more important than right or wrong, gave his life and came into a close submission to God, made me wonder if that is achievable for me. Once again, there is this realization that it is not about me. There is a far greater thing than my personal success or feelings. Sometimes, you have to make a stand, to let your voice be heard, to care and act.

Sometimes the grass is greener. Sometimes it is not. But it is still green. Even in the desert.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that Great Things are also the moments we're given. The final destination of The Race is vital, but equally as vital are the routes we take, how we relate with the runners we come into contact with, the way we allow (or hinder) His Light of Salvation to cast its warm glow through us for the benefit of those around us.
    I think that's what it means to live in such a way that the greatness of God and His power are evident in our lives: the simpler and more unattainable something becomes for us is what serves to clearly illustrate how amazing, and loving, and gracious, and faithful He is to provide for our needs in a way that announces His reality to non-believers, and strengthens believer's walks.

    Our Lord has also been reminding me lately that He won't simply hand me something, He expects me to prove my faithfulness and be an active participant and then as I show my trust by my actions He arranges each step as they arrive.

    God seems to really favor that whole Model It line of thought :*)

    ReplyDelete