Monday, August 8, 2011

Third Encounter

Traveling with our three year old is easier now than when our son was younger. But there are a few conditions and obstacles that have to be hurdled. It is easier because we are packing lighter these days. Gone are the infant carriers, the playpens, the bottles, the specialty foods, and the multitude of clothes and other accessories that go along with a baby or young toddler.


Now he can sleep in his cot or in the extra queen bed, depending upon the amenities of the motel. We still bring some toys, but we can pack them in a small bag. And his clothing also fits in a smaller section of the suitcase. There is, however a trade-off as we bring a little DVD player if it is a long trip. And we will make longer stops so he can burn off some energy. And I have learned that ground floor rooms are preferred. Then we don’t have to worry when he runs around in the room. Getting a corner room is also helpful, so we just have to be aware of one side for the noise level.

The third encounter of our vacation was in one way small, but it made my thought juices go deep. It happened while we were at the motel in Brookings. We were at the second to last room of the all ground floor motel. As we were settling in, our “neighbors” park their big white car. It is one of those cars driven by old people or a brother-in-law. And sure enough, out of the driver’s side came a gentleman in his eighties. The back seat of the car is well packed with hanging clothes and boxes.

The man first opened his motel room and proceeded to open the passenger door where his wife was sitting. It was quickly apparent that she was in need of a lot of assistance. He brought her walker around and slowly, because he is being ever so careful and because of his own age, helped her to stand, or stoop. They slowly make their way into the room, which took about seven minutes. Once seated, the husband begins the first of many trips out to the car to bring in the needed supplies for their stay.

Lately, I have been trying to be aware of opportunities to engage people that cross my path. I am extremely introverted and I am forcing myself to become intentional in these situations. I ask the man if he would like some help bring in the rest of his items. He politely declines my offer but he does stop for a second to take a break. I make my move to spur on conversation.

I told him where we were from and that we were here for a couple days to visit the Redwoods. He said that they were from Sacramento and dove up because they were gong to attend a memorial service in a couple of days. He told me that this wife hasn’t felt good for a few years and she doesn’t move too well. And he was taking care of her the best that he could. “It’s hard, sometimes, but what are you going to do?”, he said.

Later, in the early evening, I heard him trying to start his car and it just wouldn’t turn over. A relative of his came over and they decided to call a mechanic in the morning. I told them that if they needed some food, I would go get it for them. He said thanks but they would be fine.

The next day the couple went with their relatives and a cousin stayed to wait for the tow truck. Realizing that the man forgot to leave his credit card, I volunteered to wait with the car as he went and got the card. So the elderly cousin left the keys with me and just as the tow truck came both the cousin and the car owner showed up. And off we went to the Redwoods.

Here is what this encounter let me know. I appreciate love that is costly. Even though this may not be how that man envisioned his days, he is a testimony of what you do for the sake of love. You endure. You do what you need to do. And you don’t complain about it. You take care of those who are in need.

I also recognize that if I want to purposefully show and share God’s love, I will have to be the one to take the initiative. I will have to “un-introvert” myself to place myself into the journey of others. This is a world that, in some ways, has lost the human contact aspect. With self-checkout at grocery stores, ATM’s, and Redboxes, the interaction of human to human diminishes. And when the Internet is thrown in, with online shopping, online banking, and online movies, human contact can be eliminated all together. I can even get a college degree in my pajamas at my own home.

Don’t get me wrong; I enjoy all of those conveniences. Which means, I will have to work extra hard starting, developing, and keeping new encounters and relationships. There are some things can’t be done self-service or online. Like mercy, kindness, and encouragement. And since, children of God, those are supposed to be our specialties, let’s get out there and “encounter”.

No comments:

Post a Comment